Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Happy Birthday Hubby

So its my Husbands birthday today.  At the same time my books arrived.  I  skimmed through the books and am going to have to go back to the supermarket to stock up on ingredients when I get a chance.  Still making those birthday Carrot Cake cupcakes for Sat, so hopefully I will be able to squeeze in a recipe before then.  I will post a 100 calorie snack recipe a day in the meantime. I will being going in order and giving feedback once I actually attempt the recipe.


BORSCHT: Chilled Soup
Serves 6, about 2 cups per serving pg 14
(100 calorie snack cookbook)

Ingredients:
6 cups sliced or chopped cooked beet
6 cups beet liquid
4 cups beet greens
1/2 cup plain nonfat buttermilk
1 teaspoon kosher salt
juice of one lemon
fresh dill leaves
1/2 cup plain low-fat yogurt, for garnish (optional)

Directions:

Place the beets and 2 cups beet liquid in a blender and blend until well chopped.  Add another cup liquid and blend again.  Remove half the mixture to a bowl.  Add the beet greens and remaining beet liquid and puree until smooth. Remove half again and add to the bowl.  Add the buttermilk, salt and lemon juice and puree again.  Pour the remaining beet mixture into the bowl, cover and refrigerate until chilled, at least 2 hours and up to 3 days. Serve garnished with the dill and additional yogurt, if desired. 

Nutrition Facts:

Calories: 97
Calories from fat: 7
Fat:  0.8g
Saturated fat: 0g
Cholesterol: 2mg
Sodium: 554mg
carbohydrates: 19.8g
Dietary fiber: 3.4g
Protein: 4.6g



No comments:

Post a Comment